These regulations are subject to NYC Covid-19 guidelines.


Gatherings of 20 people or more require a permit to use space in the park. Games require a Field Permit, while parties, picnics and events require a Special Events Permit. Commercial film, television and still photography require a Film Shoot Permit. In addition you will need a permit from NYPD for any amplification of sound, however these are not issued to the general public.

See below for information on how to apply for each.

Special Events Permits

You will need to apply for a special events permit if you are planning to host an event in the park where you expect to have a group of 20 or more people. These permits serve as proof that you have permission from the Parks Department to have a group larger than 20 people in any specific area in the park.

Please note:

You must apply for a special event permit AT LEAST 30 DAYS IN ADVANCE OF YOUR EVENT.

There is a $25.00 processing fee for a special events permit, which can be paid by credit card if you submit your permit online, or by check or money order if you mail your application to us.

Parks Department’s Special Events Application

Field Permits

If you are a sports league and would like to use one of the athletic fields in Cadman Plaza Park, you need to apply for an athletic field permit. Please remember to adhere to the Guidelines for Use of Fields and Court Space.

Parks Department’s Field and Court Permit Application.

Film Shoots

Cadman Plaza Park makes an intriguing backdrop for film shoots, both cinematic and still photography.

When completing your request you will need to provide a detailed narrative of the action or scenes, you wish to shoot. Also list the number of people on set; number of talent; number and types of cameras, tripods, and generators; number and types of vehicles; the specific location you wish and why; and the times and days you wish to shoot. Five days notice will be required.

General restrictions include:

Weekdays only, no digging, no pyrotechnics, and no generators under trees.

All vehicles and equipment must remain on asphalt at all times.

Once logistics are set, the Mayor’s Office of Film is notified and sent approval to generate a permit.

Parks Department’s Film Shoot Request Application